Often, people believe that when they are hungover at night or have a headache, it is recommended to drinking coconut water. Even though they are not sure what benefits it has.
Therefore, the National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference in the US once released data stating that a glass of coconut water contains 600 milligrams of potassium.
The excess benefits of potassium in coconut water is what makes people seek it in the morning, particularly for those who spend the night drinking alcohol or staying up late.
“If you were hungover the night before, coconut water can be a good choice to start your day,” said Arthur Gallego, global director of corporate communications at Vita Coco, as reported by Media Cirebon some time ago.
In addition, coconut water is composed of 95 percent water, according to the USDA, which is good for meeting your body’s water needs. Consuming coconut water is not only recommended for those who are hungover, but it also has other benefits, just like an energy drink.
The public is also told not to worry about consuming coconut water on an empty stomach. According to Gallego, foods that cause stomach problems in the morning are those that contain acid.
Behind the freshness of coconut water, there are a plethora of nutrients to be obtained. Coconut water contains potassium, sodium, Vitamin C, calcium, phosphoric acid, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus. According to various sources, here are at least six benefits of coconut water.
1. Alleviate Headaches
If your head feels sore at night, then coconut water is the perfect drink to start the day. When the head feels sore or migraines, people tend to look for medicine at the pharmacy or convenience store, but there is a safer traditional medicine. Headaches can be caused by dehydration, so drinking coconut water can supply electrolytes to the body and alleviate dehydration.
In addition, coconut water also contains magnesium that can alleviate migraines. There is no need to worry about drinking coconut water on an empty stomach because of its low acid content, making it safe for the stomach.
2. Maintaining Body Immunity
Coconut water is rich in nutrients such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin and pyridoxine as well as folic acid. It also has antibacterial and antiviral properties, which can boost the body’s immunity. Coconut water is also able to fight viral infections such as the influenza virus.
Coconut water also has benefits for beauty. It contains cytokinins, one of the growth hormones, which function to regulate growth, development, and aging of cells. Cytokinins have anti-aging effects. It can also balance the pH level of the body and can reduce the risk of age-related diseases.
4. Help With Weight Loss
Although classified as a healthy drink, consuming coconut water is best limited to one glass per day. However, this one glass is enough to provide a feeling of satiety so that eating will tend to be less. Each 30 milliliters of coconut water only contains 5.45 calories and 1.3 grams of sugar.
5. Improving Digestion
Coconut water is known to be able to treat all diseases related to digestion. If you have diarrhea, everyone will immediately suggest to drink coconut water. Osmolarity, or the process of transferring substances to other solutions through semipermeable cell membranes, coconut water is greater than ORS (Oral Rehydration Therapy) recommended by WHO for the treatment of diarrhea.
In addition to diarrhea, coconut water is also used to treat constipation, worms, urinary tract infections, and kidney disorders.
6. Regulating Blood Pressure, Blood Sugar, and Cholesterol
When consumed regularly, coconut water can improve blood circulation in the body, lower high blood pressure, and reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes. It can increase HDL or good cholesterol, reduce the formation of plaque on teeth, regulate sugar absorption and increase insulin sensitivity.
Side Effects of Drinking Coconut Water
- Drinking coconut water can cause diarrhea if consumed in excessive amounts. This is because coconut water contains fibers that can increase the number of bacteria in the intestine, which can cause diarrhea.
- Consuming coconut water can increase the risk of thrombosis. Coconut water contains tannic acid which can increase blood clotting and increase the risk of thrombosis.
- Drinking coconut water can cause digestive problems such as stomach cramps and pain. This is because coconut water contains acid that can cause irritation to the stomach and intestine.
- Drinking coconut water can cause skin problems such as irritation and allergic reactions. This is because coconut water contains ingredients that can cause irritation to the skin.
- Consuming coconut water can cause kidney problems such as kidney stones and kidney infections. This is because coconut water contains calcium that can cause the formation of kidney stones.
- Coconut water can increase blood pressure. This is because coconut water contains sodium which can cause an increase in blood pressure. Drinking coconut water can cause other health problems, such as swelling, infections, and digestive issues. Therefore, before drinking coconut water, it is best to consult with a doctor to determine if it is suitable for you or not.